Rage against the supermarkets.
Did you see Channel 4s program exposing the truth behind supermarket pricing?
Okay, so they asked mystery shoppers in 32 locations to buy broccoli, pears and coriander at a supermarket convenience store (eg Tesco Metro, Sainsburys Local), a large supermarket store (eg Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys) and an independent seller.
When the prices they paid for these three items were analysed there was some interesting results:
- The supermarket was 12% more expensive than the independent seller.
- The convenience store branch of their supermarket was a third (35%) more expensive than the independent seller.
- The convenience store branch of their supermarket was 28.91% more expensive than the main branch.
- Items were average 26% more expensive in Sainsbury’s Locals than in the Sainsbury’s supermarkets.
- Items were 31% more expensive in Tesco Express than in the larger branches of Tesco.
When it came to individual items:
- Coriander was 76.98% more expensive at the supermarket convenience store than at the independent seller or 15% more expensive at the supermarket than at the independent seller.
- The pear was 24.69% more expensive at the supermarket than the independent seller and 31.65% more expensive at the supermarket convenience store than at the independent seller.
In addition to this the market sellers were cheaper still sometimes as little as a third of the cost of the local supermarket convenience store.
When you think about how much these supermarket giants drive down farmers prices and just how large their economies of scale are you can clearly see that now they have succeeded in closing down most independent traders they are fleecing the consumer for everything we have.
So I humbly swear to avoid shopping at any major supermarket for the next month. And if it doesn’t cost me a lot more time and inconvenience I will extend it until the rest of the year. I already know that my corner shop is A LOT cheaper than my local co-op and Sainsburys local. I have access to the excellent fruit/veg/fish/meat market in Leicester as well as a local fruit and veg and butchers near where I live. I also have access to a local Aldi who in terms of price definitely seem to pass on savings to customers.
So if you’d like to save money, eat healthier and support your local trader then please join me and enjoy the benefits.
Be your best,